Even though ants are tiny, they are irritating and create lot of destruction with their presence in the house. During warm weather or rainy seasons, many people discover ants entering their houses and garden areas. Ants march in large numbers and attack your favourite food left open making you run for its life. Killing ants is not at all a great idea but you can certainly avoid them entering your home.
Here are few easy home tricks that will resolve your purpose to stop ants entering your home:
Generally vinegar is one such item which many people have it stocked up at their homes. It is the king of all home remedies. To avoid ants entering your home:
1. Mix white vinegar and water in equal quantities.
2. Pour the solution into a spray bottle and add a few drops of any essential oil and shake the bottle thoroughly.
3. Spray this solution at kitchen counter-tops, cupboards and places where you generally spot ants. You have to repeat this method throughout the day. Ants hate the smell of vinegar and hence they will not enter your home.
In order to avoid ants, you have to mix borax and sugar in the ratio of 1:3 and place the mixture where ants can find it. Borax is toxic to ants and they are attracted to it and, when ingested, it ultimately kills them. This mixture is toxic so be extra cautious and keep your children and pets away from them. Borax damages the digestive systems and outer skeletons of ants resulting in death.
3. Citrus peels / Lemon / Cucumber Peels
To make your kitchen and other areas of your house ant-proof, try lemon or cucumber peels. These peels are toxic to the types of fungi that ants feed on, so ants do their best to avoid them. You can also use the citrus peels of lemon and oranges. Use these remedies every few days until the ants are completely gone.
4. Flour and Salt
Ants repel flour and hence you can sprinkle some of it at the back of the kitchen shelves and the entry-points of the ants. Yes, it is true! Sprinkle salt across the door frame or on their path and see the difference. Ants will be discouraged from crossing the barrier created.
5. Liquid Dish Soap
Dish soap also acts as an effective ant repellent. It suffocates the ants, causing them to die. You can try this tip on cockroaches, too:
1. Mix 1 teaspoon each of liquid dish soap and baking soda in a cup of water. Spread this solution along areas where ants are coming in,
2. Fill a spray bottle with one part dish soap and two parts water, shake it thoroughly. Spray the mixture over the areas where ants are present.
6. Cayenne pepper
Cayenne pepper is an effective ant repellent. You can try this tip:
1. Sprinkle cayenne pepper powder in areas where you notice ants.
2. You can also mix equal amounts of cayenne pepper and turmeric powder and sprinkle it across the access points to make an unpleasant barrier for ants.
Peppermint is a natural insect repellent that can effectively keep ants away. Ants hate its strong smell.
1. Add 10 drops of peppermint essential oil to 1 cup of water. Spray the solution on all areas where ants are present. Repeat twice daily, until the ants are gone completely.
2. Sprinkle some dried peppermint around your doors, entryways and garbage areas to repel ants. You can even grow peppermint plants in your kitchen garden.
Apart from all these above home remedies the best solution is keep the ants aways is to keep your home neat and clean. Clean up food spills right away, especially fruit juice or sugary foods. Never leave dirty dishes in the sink. Do not allow moisture to accumulate on kitchen counters and other surfaces. Make sure to properly cover any food that you leave out in the kitchen and finally ensure that your garbage cans have tightly sealed lids.
Friends, using these remedies you can easily get rid of ants and no need to worry more about them.
Cover image source: https://www.pexels.com/photo/animal-ants-blur-close-up-416342/